We get so caught up in the mania of life sometimes! And often we forget to just breathe and practice good skincare! If your routine has become a little slapdash of late, then perhaps it’s time to start from scratch. Here’s how to embrace the basics…
Determining your skin type
Before you begin, establishing your skin type is of paramount importance. Remember that using the wrong products can do more damage than good. So the first step is to take the time to really observe your skin over the course of a day. This should help you pinpoint one of the following characteristics:
- Dry Skin: often feels a little tight and is prone to dry, flakey patches.
- Oily Skin: will naturally over produce oil, causing it to look excessively shiny.
- Sensitive Skin: gives rise to red, irritated areas that can be painful to touch.
- Combination Skin: presents both flakey and oily areas.
Once you know what you’re dealing with, finding the right skincare products will be a cinch!
The four pillars
There are four pillars of skincare that should never be skipped: Cleansing, toning, moisturising and sun protection. Treatments, exfoliants, masks and serums can then be added as specifically needed. We know that there are a million skincare solutions out there that sound tempting. But bombarding your skin with too many products is never a good thing!
- Cleansing: Is one of the fundamentals of good skincare. And it’s important to make sure that you invest in a high quality, gentle product. Bear in mind that anything too harsh will break down the skin barrier, leading to dryness and irritation.
- Toning: Although not everyone opts for a toner, it is an excellent way to remove residual makeup. It also increases blood flow, helps balance PH levels and prepares the skin for moisturisation. If you have a dry or sensitive skin, look for a hydrating toner. If you’re susceptible to acne however, you’ll need to get a product that contains salicylic acid.
- Moisturising: Is key to skincare. It is also one of the most effective methods of keeping your skin soft, hydrated and youthful. Moisturising protects the skin barrier and replenishes water lost during the day. Choosing the right one for your skin type and age is vital. So look out for ingredients that make up some of the skin’s essential building blocks. These include hyaluronic acid, collagen, Q10 and ceramides.
- Sun Protection: It’s important to be aware of today’s harsh climates and our constant exposure to harmful UV rays. So including sun protection in your skincare routine is probably the most crucial step of all. Sun damage fast tracks you to premature aging, hyperpigmentation and potential skin cancer. With this in mind, make sure that you use a product that contains a SPF20 at the very least!
In time, you can consider implementing a nighttime skincare routine. You can also start including a wider range of enhancing beauty products if you want to intensify your efforts.
Getting you started
To get the ball rolling, we recommend you try these amazing products: