Chia seeds are tiny black seeds from the plant Salvia Hispanica, which is related to the mint. This plant grows natively in South America. Chia seeds were an important food for the Aztecs and Mayans back in the day. They prized them for their ability to provide sustainable energy. In fact, “chia” is the ancient Mayan word for “strength”.
– Chia is super high in fiber and because of all the fiber, chia seeds can absorb up to 10-12 times their weight in water, becoming gel-like and expanding in your stomach.
– Increase fullness, allow slow absorption of your food and help you automatically eat fewer calories.
– Fiber also feeds the friendly bacteria in the intestine, which is important because keeping your gut bugs well fed is absolutely crucial for your health.
– Chia seeds are high in quality protein, much higher than most plant foods.
– Protein is the most weight loss friendly macronutrient and can drastically reduce appetite and cravings.