In order to satisfy our never ending quest for beautiful skin, there are a number of very popular treatments available that are known for their efficacy. And microneedling, also called collagen induction therapy, is one of them.
Setting your skin aglow
Used to target facial scars, age spots, large pores, hyperpigmentation, fine lines, wrinkles and reduced elasticity, microneedling is a dermaroller procedure which uses super-fine needles to prick the skin, causing a mild injury. This encourages a healing process which initiates the production of new, collagen-rich tissue and creates the appearance of firmer, smoother, more toned skin.
Although considered a semi-invasive procedure, microneedling does not require any “downtime” meaning that, if you wish to, you can carry on with your day straight after leaving the salon. There are, however, a couple of things that you should be aware of before signing up for a session.
- It is not advisable to get microneedling if you are pregnant, if you have any lesions or infections, if you are undergoing radiation therapy or if you use certain acne medications. So consult a reputable therapist first.
- Set aside about two hours for your booking.
- You should avoid using any form of retinol for at least 48 hours prior to treatment.
- Although it’s not unbearable, you may feel a degree of discomfort during the procedure. Most salons apply a numbing cream 30 – 60 minutes before commencing, which helps to minimise any pain.
- The procedure usually includes a soothing serum and hydrating face mask to optimise the outcome.
- Depending on your skin’s sensitivity, you may experience a little bleeding, itchiness and slight redness for several days after the treatment.
- For the best possible results, you may need up to four sessions.
The final countdown
Microneedling is so successful that it is often recommended as a final step before anti-aging cosmetic surgery is considered, so have a chat to your dermatologist before making any big decisions.
Cosmetology offers a Collagen Induction Therapy Microneedling Anti-Aging Treatment that provides deep cellular hydration, reduces wrinkles and signs of aging and leaves the skin silky and smooth. Contact one of our highly qualified technicians for more information.